Design, test, iterate: Thermostat (part 2)

In part 1 of this article, I discussed how I defined the design problem for a particular client. This article will cover how I went about finding a solution to that problem.

My design process is essentially non-linear. I start with what I believe to be a good solution and then put it though the wringer of user testing. Invariably, it turns out I got something right and a lot of things wrong — and that’s when things begin to get interesting. After each test, I go back to work and repeat the process, again and again, until the product ultimately is adopted. Read more...